1. Keep plants in your house that are natural air filters! Certain plants naturally help clean your air - this will help out your air filters a lil bit!! And help any members of your family that may be prone to allergies!
Here's a list of house plants that are natural air-filters:
1. English Ivy (Hedera helix)
2. Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum)
3. Golden pothos or Devil's ivy (Scindapsus aures or Epipremnum aureum)
4. Peace lily (Spathiphyllum 'Mauna Loa')
5. Chinese evergreen (Aglaonema modestum)
6. Bamboo palm or reed palm (Chamaedorea sefritzii)
7. Snake plant or mother-in-law's tongue (Sansevieria trifasciata 'Laurentii')
8. Heartleaf philodendron (Philodendron oxycardium, syn. Philodendron cordatum)
9. Selloum philodendron (Philodendron bipinnatifidum, syn. Philodendron selloum)
10. Elephant ear philodendron (Philodendron domesticum)
11. Red-edged dracaena (Dracaena marginata)
12. Cornstalk dracaena (Dracaena fragans 'Massangeana')
13. Janet Craig dracaena (Dracaena deremensis 'Janet Craig')
14. Warneck dracaena (Dracaena deremensis 'Warneckii')
15. Weeping Fig (Ficus benjamina)
16. Gerbera Daisy or Barberton daisy (Gerbera jamesonii)
17. Pot Mum or Florist's Chrysanthemum (Chrysantheium morifolium)
18. Rubber Plant (Ficus elastica)
(Here are some pics of my kiddos planting some seeds for Earth Day - they are on our kitchen table right now and Tyler is learning that flowers take a LONG time to grow, hehe!)
Planting the seeds...
2. Use earth-friendly cleaning products! And you want a testimony? Cuz I have one!! My toilets were building up yellow stains right where the top of the water was and I kept trying to clean it, scrub it everything and nothing was working. I bought probably 4 different types of cleaners and finally even poured straight bleach into my toilet!! NONE of which did anything to this stain! My sister-in-law came for vacation and brought with her a bunch of her fave natural cleaning products for me to try and one was Ecover Toilet Bowl Cleaner. I thought well why not - what's one more? I put it in and left it for about 5 minutes and I'm not kidding - came back and TOTAL WHITE! The stain just went away!! And BLEACH couldn't even do that!! It is an INCREDIBLE product! A few other fave's of mine are: Mrs. Meyer's All-Purpose Cleaner (comes in handy spray bottle), Ecover Liquid Laundry Detergent, and Mrs. Meyer's Lavender Dryer Sheets. 7th Generation Bathroom cleaners are pretty good too!
you understand me being excited over toilet cleaner right?!
3. Use reusable shopping bags! At first I kept forgetting so I would buy a couple more on those trips so I could still use them and now have like 12-14 of them. I carry my bundle into Krogers every week now and usually have extra left over after ALL my groceries are in them. They are so nice to use! They are big and extra sturdy so a LOT more groceries, in one bag easier to handle = a lot less stress unloading groceries!
So what did you do for Earth Day?